Ms. Bathtub

Musings from Carye Bye of Portland, Ore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Ore., United States

I may be Ms. Bathtub, but I hardly ever take baths.. I do shower that is, so don't worry!

I am the director of the Bathtub Art Museum and also run my own printing card & novelties business under the name Red Bat Press. I live in the great bike fun-friendly city of Portland.

I'm always up for a good adventure; however anything goes here.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Friend Big Pink


Whenever I'm walking or biking around Portland, and I feel a little lonely, I can almost always look up towards downtown and see my friend 'Big Pink'; from North Mississippi,the Alameda Ridge, East Esplanade, or Chinatown - Big Pink looms. When I first moved to Portland I read through a travel book and learned how to say 'Couch St.' , 'Willamette', 'Multnomah', and 'Oregon' so no one would out me as an outsider. I also learned the local name for the US. Bancorp Tower is the Big Pink. But you'd be surprised how many so-called locals don't know this. This tall pink skyscrapper is one of the tallest, if not THE tallest building in downtown Portland. But yet it stands alone, away from the other tall buildings further southwest. I've taken so many pictures of Big Pink over the 5 years I've lived here, that I always think I'll curate a 'Big Pink' Art Show - but then again I always think, hasn't every art student done that. Also it is to be known there are actually two Big Pinks in Portland. The other is in Oaks Amusement Park - a pink potato sack fun slide.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth M. said...

I, too, am a big fan of Big Pink (also because it's the building of my bank, not to mention it's host to a restaurant on the umpteenth floor with outstanding views). With this all said, I was disappointed when I read that Big Pink in fact wasn't Portland's tallest--the Wells Fargo building in southern downtown (a boring ol' white building) is actually a floor or two taller. Bummer.

It still doesn't make Big Pink any less our favorite, though, does it?

12:04 PM  
Blogger adventure! said...

Yep, the Wells Fargo (ex-First Interstate) tower is 10 feet higher, though Big Pink has one extra story (42 vs 41). Not to mention how ugly Wells Fargo is--even uglier is the spidery "annex" attached to it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_in_Portland%2C_Oregonl

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home