Ms. Bathtub

Musings from Carye Bye of Portland, Ore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Ore., United States

I may be Ms. Bathtub, but I hardly ever take baths.. I do shower that is, so don't worry!

I am the director of the Bathtub Art Museum and also run my own printing card & novelties business under the name Red Bat Press. I live in the great bike fun-friendly city of Portland.

I'm always up for a good adventure; however anything goes here.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Going on a Train Ride


Tomorrow I'll be on the Coast Starlight train choo chooing my way down to the City of Angels. I can't wait to be stuck on a train for 30 + hours. I've been either super busy or super dead these days. I look forward to staring out the window, reading, playing cards, eating, sleeping. The simple things. Lucky for me I get to go in style this time - not only do I get to travel with my companion, Matt, I also get the luxury of having a 'roomette' and all meals in the dining car.. and access to the parlor car.. and the best part of all is our tickets were pretty much FREE, thanks to Matt's Alaska Airlines creditcard. Amtrak is a partner, so we get our train tickets with a room, and all meals included with our voucher, for the same amount of mile points, we could get just two plain old rountrip airfares. Since Matt is between work and I am self employeed, we have TIME on our side to go the long way.

We'll visit my best friend Emily in LA for 4 days and her family. I've just been told that her 9 year old son Ian, is so excited to see me, he even wrote in his homework planner, that I'll be there on Friday! Ian doesn't know yet that even better than me, he'll get to meet Matt. I'm sure those two will head off to play Nintendo Wii for hours, and Emily and I can reminence about our art class days back in the grungy 90's where we occasionally were caught wearing plaid flannel.

Let me tell you the train is the way to go... even if it's pretty much guaranteed you'll be 1-4 hours late on a long trip because frieght trains have right-away. There's just something nice about taking your time to get to your destination, and the Coast Starlight is especially fun once it hits the southern cali coast, often the train is going right along the coastline, places even cars don't have access. On my trip in coach on the Coast Starlight three years ago, I even saw a dolphin from the train! In Portland, we're lucky to have such a great access to three lines of train travel" Coast Starlight, Cascades, and Empire Builder. And while on a long journey, get on and off. On this trip, We'll be stopping in San Francisco ( my former home) for two nights on our journey back North. Also when you are planning a trip, check for train specials, there are often free companion fares & last minute deals. So what are you waiting for, go far go near, go by train!

2 Comments:

Blogger vj said...

I am so envious. I'd love to take a longish train journey like that. I just looked at Northwest Air, and it doesn't look like have a deal with Amtrak, damn it, but I am not going to lose hope. Hope you have a great time!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Ms. Bathtub said...

By the way, one traveling lady told us that the Empire Builder line that goes Portland to Chicago does not get delayed by frieght because the the rails are owned by Canada, and people have priority. The Coast Starlight rails seem to be the opposite. This trip we were late two hours heading south, and late 1 hour heading north. But honestly, I love being on the train so much I was happy for the extra time - well it did help we were in 1st class on this trip.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home